Monday, January 3, 2011

Come, Let Us Anew!

I had intended to write a new year's post on Saturday, but I've had a bit of a flare-up with my adrenal problems, and I wasn't able to muster the energy to write. I'm feeling much better today, so here it is.

I love the start of a new year. It's a new beginning and a chance to start fresh. 2010 was a really rough year for me. I started out with roommate drama that took up the first three months of the year. Getting out of that situation wiped out my savings so I had to work extra hours while juggling school. I started to get sick in May, and in July I was diagnosed with adrenal problems. The diagnosis came with a stern admonition to avoid stress. The very next day, the company I work for got acquired. I managed to keep my job, but stuff got crazy at work. Then I had the most insanely intense and busy semester of my entire education, all while working and doing an internship. I finished up my internship on New Year's Eve. So much for avoiding stress!

I'll be glad to put all that behind me. While all the craziness was going on, I let some things slide. I got out of the habit of exercising, mostly because I was too exhausted, but once I started feeling better, I still didn't work out because I was too busy. I was also too tired to stay for the full church meeting block most weeks. I would consistently go to Sacrament meeting, but Sunday School and Relief Society happened maybe twice a month. I could definitely feel that something was missing. My scripture study kind of slid, too. I used to be so consistent, but I've kind of gotten out of that habit.

So, in honor of the new year, here are my resolutions for 2011:
1. Exercise regularly. I'm going to try the Couch to 5k program. Some of my friends have reported great success with it, and I like that it's something I can squeeze in around my schedule. I've tried workout classes before, but it's hard to drag myself to another class given my time constraints.
2. Attend the entire 3 hour meeting block every week.
3. Read my scriptures every day and keep up with the Sunday School and Relief Society lessons.
4. Improve my prayers. I used to talk to God, but these days I feel like sometimes I'm just going through the motions. I've been saying my prayers, but instead, I need to pray.
5. Finish law school and pass the bar exam. I fully intend to pass on my first try.

I'm grateful for the Atonement. One of my favorite scriptures is Ether 12:27.
And if men [and women] come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men [and women] weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men [and women] that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
Most people focus on weak things becoming strong, but the part that stands out to me is that the power that causes weak things to become strong is the grace of God. I can't make the needed improvements on my own and I need divine help. That help is available! Awesome news!

Happy New Year!

As a bonus, here's a guitar and vocal version of the hymn Come, Let Us Anew.

No comments: